KNSO Composers’ AtelierCURRICULUM
Meeting with a Mentor & Mentoring
Participating composers will share various opinions on music through meetings with a mentor and mentoring.
Lectures are provided by mentors and external experts for composers to learn about useful knowledge and refinement in various areas.
The creative music works composed by the five participating composers, who are working together with their mentor for one year, will be premiered with the Korean National Symphony Orchestra, and then they will gain feedback from a conductor, performers, and mentors.
- ppointed as a composer-in-residence at the Korean National Symphony Orchestra from 2014 to 2016.
- on the Barlow Prize, the Copland House Residency Award, the International Isang Yun Composition Award, etc.
- ppointed for the Ensemble Modern, the National Orchestra of Korea, the Seoul International Music Festival, etc.
- tanding professor of Composition and Music Theory Dept. at San Diego State University
- Won the award for composition of the Ernst von Siemens Musikstiftung, etc.
- Appointed as a composer-in-residence at the Lucerne Festival, and taught composition at the music academy.
- Appointed for the BBC Radio 3, the Munich Symphony Orchestra, the Boston Symphony Orchestra, etc.
- Standing professor at the Lucerne School of Music.
Aaron Jay Kernis
- Won the Pulitzer Prize, the Grammy Award, and the Grawemeyer Award.
- Appointed as the 1stdirectoroftheMinnesotaOrchestra’sComposersInstitute.
- Appointed for the New York Philharmonic, Philadelphia Orchestra, etc.
- Standing professor at the Yale School of Music.
Eunsung Kim / 김은성
- Seoul National University, Composition (B.M.)
- Hochschule für Musik FRANZ LISZT Weimar, Composition (M.D.)
- Hochschule für Musik FRANZ LISZT Weimar, Composition (Konzertexamen)
- Music Composition Prize of the Thuringia Germany (2016)
- Winner of Joseph Joachim Composition Competition (2015)
- Winner of Felix Bartholdy Mendelssohn University Competition (2014)
- ‘The Parallax View’ for Sanjodaegeum, Flute and String Ensemble (Gonggansori Composers Concert, Sejong Center for the performing Arts, 2022)
- ‘re’ for String Quartet (Asian Composers Showcase, Tongyeong Concert Hall, 2021)
- ‘Geraengi’ for Daegeum, Flute and Orchestra (The 12th ARKO Contemporary Orchestra Music Festival, Seoul Arts Center, 2021)
- ‘im Innersten’ for Chamber Orchestra (performed by Daegu International Symphony Orchestra, 2019)
- ‘Cold Stream’ for Orchestra (The 10th ARKO Contemporary Orchestra Music Festival, performed by KBS Symphony Orchestra, Seoul Arts Center, 2019)
- Studied under Tai-Bong Chung, Michael Obst, Ulrich Kreppein
Jaeduk Kim / 김재덕
- Korea National University of Arts, Composition / Orchestra Conducting (B.M.)
- Haute école de musique de Genève, Composition (M.M.) – funded scholarship by Foundation Hans wilsdorf (Rolex SA)
- Universität Musik und darstellnde kunst Wien, Composition / Orchestra Conducting (Exchange Student)
- 2018 Composition of Joongang Music Concours, 1st prize
- 2016 The Music Association of Korea Competition(Orchestra category), 1st prize.
- Masterclass by renowned composers: Brian Ferneyhough, Clara Ianoota, Chaya Czernowin, Franck Bedrossiaen, Unsuk Chin
- ‘Paysage...’ for string nonet [arrière, second, première plan] (Commissioned and premiered by NEC Ensemble, 2022)
- ‘Mechanical imporovisation’ for accordion (Premiered by Ensemble Via.Nova, 2022)
- ‘Son de Lumière- refletée dans le lac’ for string ensemble, two percussionists, and piano solo (Commissioned and premiered by TIMF Ensemble, Seoul Arts Center, 2022)
- La vision de l’extase (Premiered by Barcelona Modern Ensemble, 2021)
- Studied under Michael Jarrell, Luis Naôn, Gilbert Nouno, Jean-luc Hervé, Detlev Müller Siemens, Dongjin Bae, Byungmoo Lee, Sungki Kim, Insik Lee
Jaebong Rho / 노재봉
- Pusan National University, Composition (B.M.)
- ‘ATEM’ for flute, oboe, clarinet and accordion (29th Daegu International Contemporary Music Festival, 2019)
- ‘limen’ for flute, clarinet, violin, cello and piano and six other works (New Music Concert: Works of Jaebong Rho, 2021)
- ‘morii’ for orchestra (Commissioned by the Busan Philharmonic Orchestra, 2022)
- ‘Sans Soleil: Hommage à Chris Marker’ for orchestra (Busan Cultural Center, 2022)
- Studied with Sooran Jeong
Areum Lee / 이아름
- Hanyang University, Composition (B.M.)
- Hochschule für Künste Bremen, Composition (M.M.)
- Robert Schumann Hochschule Düsseldorf, Composition (Konzertexamen)
- ‘Racham’ for ensemble (Ilshin Hall, World Premiere, 2022)
- ‘Event horizon’ for quintet (Commissioned-Premiere, 2022)
- ‘Staub’ for string quartet (Bludenzer Tage zeitgemäßer Musik, Commissioned-Premiere, 2022)
- ‘Odem II’ for orchestra (Flora Sinfonie Orchester Commissioned-Premiere, 2022)
- ‘Stille’ for ensemble (Neue Musik Eckernförde, 2021)
- Studied under Shihyong Kim, Cheonwook Kim, Jeonghoon Kim, Jörg Birkenkötter, José María Sánchez-Verdú
Younje Cho / 조윤제
- Yonsei University, Composition (B.M.)
- Indiana University, Composition (M.M.), Double majoring in Computer Music Composition (M.C.M.)
- Indiana University, Associate Instructor of Music Theory
- ‘Feast of Particles’ for orchestra, 2019 (Selected for the 2023 American Composers Orchestra (ACO) Earshot Readings, Received honorable mentions and a commission on the 2022 Hangzhou Contemporary Music Festival “Artinno Award” International Orchestral Composition Competition)
- ‘For All We Took’ for soprano and sinfonietta (commissioned by and written for the IU New Music Ensemble, 2023)
- ‘Virtual Cloud’ for clarinet, harp, and cello (Studzinski Hall, Bowdoin International Music Festival, 2022)
- ‘Shadow’ for violin, 3 violas, and cello (Studzinski Hall, Bowdoin International Music Festival, 2022)
- ‘Scale’, 2019 (Auer Hall, Indiana University, 2021)
- ‘The Arrow and the Song’ for soprano and sextet (2021) (winner of Georgina Joshi Composition Commission Award, Auer Hall, Indiana University)
- ‘Hallucination’ for solo flute, 2021 (winner of third prize in the 2022 American Prize, Auer Hall, Indiana University)
- Studied under David Dzubay, Aaron Travers, Andreia Pinto Correia, P.Q. Phan, John Gibson, Chi Wang, Jiesun Lim, Hong-Seok Lee, Yie-Eun Chun